Camping is fun and exciting as you get to explore nature. Camping can also expose you to elements that can be potentially dangerous, depending on your location. It is essential to carry a survival kit for emergencies to ensure that you have the right gear and equipment needed for your survival. A waterproof blanket is one of those essential items in your kit. Find out why a waterproof blanket is a must and how you can choose the best one that will help you beat the elements.
Importance of a Blanket in Your Survival Kit
A basic survival kit includes items like food and water supply to last for a few days, first aid supplies, lighting equipment, batteries, and more. A waterproof blanket is one of the most overlooked items that can be vital to your survival. Therefore, it is important to pack one as it can be a versatile item in your survival kit.
The primary purpose of a waterproof blanket is to keep you warm, especially at night. This blanket is designed to retain body heat and limit body heat loss so your body can regulate its temperature. But due to the property and the material used, you can also use it for other functions like weather protection, rescue signaling, and medical purposes such as a makeshift sling or a compression bandage.
If you are resourceful enough, you can enjoy plenty of benefits from using a thermal blanket for survival.
What is the Best Material for a Blanket for Camping?
The market is saturated with advertising on waterproof blankets recommended for outdoor use. As a consumer, you are overwhelmed with options and may find it difficult to pinpoint precisely which is the warmest blanket for camping.
Below is an overview of the common types of fabric used in making a waterproof blanket and other pieces of clothing. Use this guide to compare the different materials used in making waterproof blankets for outdoor use to find the most effective one to keep you warm.
- Polyurethane laminate (PUL) – This fabric is one of the most common materials used to make waterproof clothing or garment. They can be paired with other fabric types, and polyester is the most common one used to ensure the highest waterproof performance. These two types of fabric combine to ensure that no water or moisture can penetrate the layers of the fabric, keeping you dry under any circumstances.
- Thermoplastic urethane (TPU) – This fabric is the most popular alternative to PUL fabric for making waterproof products. It has the added benefit of being more pliable and softer. It is used for making cloth diapers, as it is a soft material. However, it does lack the durability that PUL fabric offers.
- Nylon – Nylon fabric is well-known for its waterproof quality, especially when paired with a special coating. Nylon is commonly used in umbrellas and rain gear. It is not a breathable fabric but can be highly effective in repelling water.
- Laminated fabric – Laminated cotton is the most common example of this type of fabric. However, this fabric is not entirely waterproof but does offer water-resistant capabilities. It is the fabric choice for most types of clothing because it is thinner and more pliable. This material is commonly used in making children's play mats, raincoats, changing bags, and baby bibs. The water-resistant quality of the fabric makes it easier to clean on the surface.
- Vinyl – Vinyl is another popular waterproof and weatherproof fabric. Therefore, it is durable and will always repel water. Various types of vinyl fabric are available on the market. Make sure you choose the right kind of vinyl to get superior waterproof protection for your intended use.
What is the Warmest Blanket for Camping?
A waterproof fleece blanket is the best option available for your outdoor adventures, such as camping. It is a versatile item that will keep you warm, regardless of the outdoor conditions.
The blanket is made up of two sides. The first side has a waterproof backing to prevent water or moisture from penetrating the fabric. This waterproof side effectively keeps you dry under any circumstances.
The waterproof side is made of polyurethane polyester fabric, known for its waterproof quality. The polyurethane fabric is typically polyester, which along with nylon, is known as one of the best types of fabric used for waterproof reasons. Therefore, it is the go-to fabric for manufacturing waterproof blankets, mattresses, umbrellas, raincoats, and outdoor furniture coverings. The more tightly woven the material is, the better it is in providing a waterproof layer for any garments, including an outdoor blanket.
In addition to being waterproof, polyurethane polyester fabric used in a waterproof fleece blanket is also windproof. The windproof backing effectively cuts out the wind, protecting you while camping.
In addition to the waterproof backing, the inner layer of the best waterproof blanket is made with 350GSM anti-pill polar fleece. Polar fleece is a fabric that is much thicker than a traditional fleece. It is also warmer than microfleece.
The polar fleece fabric is used on the inside layer of many waterproof blankets because of its impressive insulating properties. It is also why polar fleece is a popular material used in producing many winter clothes, as it is warm and thick. Unlike heavyweight fleece, though, it offers more flexibility, so it stays comfortable while doing an effective job of keeping you warm.
The Bottom Line
So, what is the best waterproof blanket for camping? It depends on how adventurous you want to be in your camping adventure and the conditions at your camping site. Therefore, it pays to research these conditions so you are better informed about how to prepare and pack the essential items you need to be safe.